Okay, I’ve skipped a few steps here, but I need a little more time to put together a good Tutorial on how to do lighting. Unfortunately I ended up brute force figuring out how to do it. And do be quite honest I’m still working on it. For now some quick tips.
- Light a small space with one light to see how it works
- Play with the Lightmap Levels, they determine how much light bounces off a brush
- The default Lightmap is 16, you will want to change this for stuff where shadows aren’t mega important, this will help decrease your map’s file size.
- HDR Lighting is a pain and adds to your final file size
- Colored lighting really helps set a mood
- Focus your lights on the important stuff to help lead the player
- Don’t forget to build your cubemaps in both HDR and LDR modes
With those tips out of the way, I am totally ready for the next major test of CTF_Staredown. DrgnDen.com is hosting a server if you’d like to pop on. In TF2 search for either CTF_Staredown or “CTF_Staredown DrgnDen.com Server“. All we need now is a few big games to identify any major remaining issues and see what crazy strategies you can come up with, then just one more solid weekend to do a very final lighting and detail pass.